Tuesday 1 October 2013

Conservative Conference Review

For the last few years, I have posted a detailed review of the Conservative Conference, rating each of the speakers that I have watched. This year I have decided not to do this, partly because I haven't had the time to watch each speech as carefully as in previous years.

Sadly, from what I have seen so far, this year's Conference looks like a slightly grey version of previous years Conferences. The set, rather than being a vibrant blue, is a slightly shaby grey looking dark blue and many of the speakers seem to lack the energy they had in previous years - I guess running the country in coalition must be taking it's toll.

Boris's speech, as usual has been a highlight, but even his speech has lacked the extent of humour and engaging style of previous years.

Many of the speakers are now tending towards a 'lecturing' style, something which I guess is a feature of a ministerial team who now, with over three years in government, know their business extremely well. But it does have a slightly patronising air to it and fails to persuade in a way that a more appealing delivery would.

But I suppose at least they look serious and workmanlike.

Michael Gove's speech was solid as usual. And, as usual, he preceded his own words by inviting some guests to speak about Education.



Let's hope this approach was intentionally low-key and they are planning a big, fresh, colourful, engaging and inspiring conference in 2014 before the 2015 General Election.

0 comments:

Post a Comment